Oxjam: We’re back!
It’s May already and, as I write, people are peering at that strange yellowy thing in the sky and waxing lyrical about flowing things appearing all over the place.
Maybe, in your excitement at the sudden appearance of a phenomenon known as ‘Spring’, you’ve been anxiously looking around for signs that, despite rumours to the contrary, one of Beeston’s great institutions has survived the winter to re-emerge, leaner, fitter, and brighter than before. Well, look no more: this article is the ‘green shoot’ you’ve been eagerly awaiting: the Beeston Oxjam Music Festival is back!
From its modest origins six years ago the Festival – aka ‘Oxjam Takeover’ – has grown to be the biggest of Oxjam’s forty-odd festivals around the UK, raising a record-breaking £17K for Oxfam. For 2016 we have a Team of volunteers – some experienced Oxjammers, some new – who have already got a plan of events that we’ll tell you more about in the coming weeks. So get your diary out. Here’s how it looks so far:
- Wednesday June 8 – official ’Beeston Oxjam Launch and Music Quiz’ at the White Lion;
- Saturday July 2 – ’Oxjam Unplugged’ – Middle Street Resource Centre (a new Oxjam venue but easy to get to by tram or bus, which stop outside, or just a five minute walk from the Interchange) – with licensed bar;
- Friday 16 September – ‘Oxjam Introducing…’ (Under-19 performers) – venue tbc;
- Saturday 24 September – ’Oxjam Ceilidh’ – venue tbc
- Saturday 15 October – Oxjam Takeover’ – venues and artists tbc
- Saturday 12 November – ’Classical Oxjam’ – Beeston Parish Church.
For details of the above as they become confirmed – and more events – check our Facebook page and website (oxjambeeston.org). Tickets for some events will shortly be on sale from Oxfam Books and Music in Beeston or online from wegottickets.com (10% booking fee).
We are also looking for volunteers who could help with any aspect of the Oxjam Music Festival, from artists’ liaison to publicity to general helper. If you’d like to know a bit more, email email@example.com and we’ll get back to you.
It’s barely six months to go and only a few weeks to our launch event/pub quiz.